Some of the best summer workouts take place outside. One of my favorites is running stairs at a local stadium, in SF at the Lyon Street stairs (top photo), or my new favorite at the Santa Monica stairs (never know who’ll you’ll see in SM.) Why? Stairs are one of the most convenient tools to challenge your body—and help you get faster. Not to mention, perfect that backside that everyone is aimlessly searching for.
Here is what you’ll need for Show Up Fitness Ultimate Stair Workout:
- Running shoes
- 300 continuous stairs (ideally)
- The Rocky soundtrack on your iPod; my favorites are Eric Church & Frank Foster- YEE HAW!
- The will to kick some butt!
Before we get into the workout, here are some things to consider:
- To increase your sprint times, you must improve both your stride rate and stride frequency. Try this stair workout two times a week. It is designed to increase your speed, acceleration, power and stride frequency by adding resistance to each stride.
- Maximal exertion and proper rest periods are the most important variables. I don’t want you walking up the stairs, nor do I want you running down them.
- Don’t lean over your knee when you accelerate; this encourages your glutes to stay weak, and overemphasizes quadriceps recruitment.
- If you don’t have 300 continuous steps, break the routine up into smaller sets.
30- to 45-Minute Ultimate Stair Workout
- Dynamic Warm-Up, 5-10 minutes.
- Sprint every step for 100 stairs (20-30 seconds). Walk down the stairs and rest 1 minute.
- Sprint every other step for 100 stairs. Walk down the stairs and rest 1 minute.
- Sprint every third step for 100 stairs. Walk down the stairs and rest 1 minute.
- Sprint every step for 200 stairs (45 seconds). Walk down the stairs and rest 2 minutes
- Sprint every other step for 200 stairs. Walk down the stairs and rest 2 minute.
- Sprint every third step for 200 stairs. Walk down the stairs and rest 2 minute.
- Sprint every step to the top (1 minute). Walk down the stairs and rest 3 minutes.
- Sprint every other step to the top. Walk down the stairs.
- Stretch your calves, quads and hamstrings.
Do this workout two times a week and your jeans will be more snug on your backside, GUARANTEE IT!!!